As August comes to a close, our friends at the McKinney Convention and Visitors Bureau invite us to check out this list of fun activities to enjoy this coming weekend.
Miles of Pillowcase Smiles (9/1)
Cindy Kerr, President, CEO and Founder of ConKerr Cancer, will visit Happiness Is Quilting! on Saturday at 11 a.m. to kick off her 3rd Annual Miles of Pillowcase Smiles, ConKerr Cancer's signature event which takes place throughout September 2012 to coincide with National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. Their goal for 2012 is 44,000 pillowcases, one for each child in treatment. ConKerr Cancer started when Cindy Kerr's son was diagnosed with cancer in 2002 and she began making pillowcases to brighten up his hospital room and help him smile. He loved it and so she began making pillowcases for other children on the Oncology Unit at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. (Cindy Kerr won first place in the 2007 Martha Stewart "Dreamers to Doers" program.) 217 N. Kentucky Street; 972-542-8839.
Farmers Market (Aug. 30 & Sept. 1)
Local and organic meat, dairy and produce vendors offer their wares from 8 a.m. until noon every Saturday at Chestnut Square and from 3-7 p.m. every Thursday at Adriatica in West McKinney (on Virginia Pkwy. at Stonebridge Drive). Market vendors also offer sauces, pasta, baked goods, wine and flowers. Dixie's Store at Chestnut Square is open with Dublin Dr Pepper, Cokes, old fashioned candy, ice cream, craft items and old fashioned toys for sale during the Saturday market at Chestnut Square. 315 S. Chestnut; 972-562-8790. Come early for best selection of the best fresh offerings in North Texas!
Art on Display
McKinney's downtown galleries are showcasing the following art this month.
• The Garret Gallery: Watercolor artist Sarah Buie; 111 E. Virginia; 972-548-9361.
• Imaging on the Square: Various local artists. 109 S. Tennessee, 972-548-7575.
• Laura Moore Fine Art: Annual open call to artists -"Hideout" - more than 80 works from 45 artists. (Sample at right.) 107 S Tennessee. 214-914-3630.
• Orisons Art & Framing: The work of several photographers is on display. 110 E. Louisiana, 972-529-1441.
Entertainment This Weekend
• Cadillac Pizza Pub:Open Mic Night (Thur.); Jimmy Wallace & the Stratoblasters (Fri.); Chris McCandless Band (pictured, Sat.)
• Churchill's: Psychic Night (Thur.)
• Hank's: Matt Stell (Thur); Robby White featuring Ronny Spears (Fri.); Red Leather (Sat.)
• Grand/Rick's: The Bodarks (Thur.); Melissa Medlock (Fri.); Kathy Prather & the Band (Sat.)
• Grotto: Jam Session (Thur.); Prophets & Outlaws (Fri.); Travis Muscatell & The Black Hand Rivalry (Sat.)
• Landon Winery: Ryli Dylan (Fri.); Carolyn Jones (Sat.)
• Lone Star Wine Cellars: Steve Brummet on sax (Fri.); Steve Rose (Sat.)
• Spoons Cafe: Open Mic (Thur.); Live Music (Fri.-Sat.)
Butterfly Garden/House at Heard Museum, 972-562-5566.
THURSDAY, August 30
Adriatica Farmers Market
3-7 p.m. 6851 Virginia. 972-562-8790.
FRIDAY, Aug. 31-SUNDAY, Sept. 2
Allen FFA Livestock Show: Myers Park & Event Center, 7117 CR 166, 7 a.m.-7 p.m. 940-202-1848.
SATURDAY, Sept. 1Weekly Group Bike Ride: Leaves Cadence Cyclery in downtown McKinney at 7:20 a.m. Saturdays.
Franconia Brewery Tour: Guests and residents agree - the $5 brewery tour with beer tastings is the best deal in town! Brewmeister Dennis Wehrmann conducts the tour. 11 a.m. at 495 McKinney Parkway. Franconia beer glasses are available for an additional $5, but not required. 972-542-0705.
Drum Circle:.10 a.m., Old Settlers Rec. Center, 1201 E. Louisiana. 214-641-0782.