As August gives way to September, our friends at the McKinney Convention and Visitors Bureau invite us to check out this list of fun activities to enjoy this coming weekend.
Lindsey Buckingham Concert (Aug. 23)
This concert with Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham has been sold out for weeks. Selected by the Dallas Morning News as the concert of the month in the metroplex, Lindsey will be rocking the Courtroom Theater stage to a packed house at the McKinney Performing Arts Center on Thursday night. Lindsey, a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (with Fleetwood Mac), has won countless awards, selling out venues around the world and helping define the sound of rock for the last three decades. We're excited to have him performing in McKinney. Rock On!
Summer Sizzle II (Aug. 25)
From Classical to Pop, the North Texas Chapter of the American Theatre Organ Society brings together nationally known and locally grown talent to shake up a cocktail of good music that will delight your auditory senses on a hot summer's eve. Take a break from the Texas heat and join us at the McKinney Performing Arts Center to listen to some sizzling good music. Tickets available here for the 7:30 p.m. concert at MPAC.
Franconia Brewery Tour (Aug. 25)
Visitors to McKinney and residents, too, often comment that the $5 brewery tour with beer tastings is the best deal in town! Brewery owner Dennis Wehrmann (Bavarian brewmeister and McKinney resident) himself gives the tour and helps serve beer to his guests. The 11 a.m. tour is informative, fun (Dennis is one funny guy!) and refreshing. Located at 495 McKinney Parkway just a block or so north of University/380 and a block east of Highway 5, be prepared for a crowd. But it's well-worth the visit to sample "the bier from here." Franconia beer glasses are available for an additional $5, but not required.
Art on Display
McKinney's downtown galleries are showcasing the following art this month.
• The Garret Gallery: Featuring watercolor artist Sarah Buie (work pictured); 111 E. Virginia; 972-548-9361.
• Imaging on the Square: Featuring various local artists. 109 S. Tennessee, 972-548-7575.
• Laura Moore Fine Art: Annual open call to artists. This year's theme is "Hideout" - more than 80 works from 45 artists. 107 S Tennessee. 214-914-3630.
• Orisons Art & Framing: The work of several photographers is on display. 110 E. Louisiana, 972-529-1441.
Entertainment This Weekend
• Cadillac Pizza Pub: Open Mic Night (Thurs.); 32-20s Band (Fri.); Rhett Butler Band (Sat.)
• Churchill's: Psychic Night (Thurs.)
• Hank's: Brandon Bush Band (Thurs); Jason Boland & the Stragglers (Fri.); Hysteria (Sat.)
• Grand/Rick's: Carolyn Jones (Thurs.); Nick & the Nighthawks (pictured, Fri.); Mick Tinsley (Sat.)
• Grotto: Get Buzzed (Thurs.); Missing 3 (Fri.); Soma Lab (Sat.)
• Landon Winery: Anthony Bakly (Fri.); JR Byrd (Sat.)
• Lone Star Wine Cellars: Creek Duo (Fri.); John Griffith (Sat.)
• Spoons Cafe: Open Mic (Thurs.); Live Music (Fri.-Sat.)
Butterfly Garden/House at Heard Museum, 972-562-5566.
THURSDAY, August 23
Adriatica Farmers Market 3-7 p.m. 6851 Virginia. 972-562-8790.
FRIDAY. August. 24
Fourth Friday Drum Circle: 7-10 p.m. at Mitchell Park, Church/Louisiana.
SATURDAY, August 25
Weekly Group Bike Ride: Leaves Cadence Cyclery in downtown McKinney at 7:20 a.m. Saturdays.
Farmers Market at Chestnut Square: 8 a.m. to noon, 315 S. Chestnut.
Drum Circle:.10 a.m., Old Settlers Rec. Center, 1201 E. Louisiana. 214-641-0782.
Garden Tours: Collin County Master Gardeners will be at Myers Park from 9 a.m. to noon for research garden tours. 7117 CR 166; 972-548-4232.
SUNDAY, August 26
Morgan Horse Show: At Myers Park, 7117 CR 166; 972-658-6456
Still looking for more fun to have this weekend? Be sure to check out the TownSquareBuzz.com Calendar of Events. Feel free to add your own event to the mix while you're there.