Women gaining the right to vote and the beginning of the Social Security program highlighted the events of this week in our history.
In 1878, the Stony Point Baptist Church near Melissa was started. It closed as a church in the late 1950’s, but the building continued to be used for funerals and decoration days at the adjoining cemetery, one of Collin County’s oldest.
In 1882, Shack Culwell, an eighteen year old black man, was hung for the murder of W. R. Norvell, his employer. Culwell was committed the murder because he had been underpaid between $3.10 and $5.00 for work he had done. He confronted Norvell on his front porch and shot him. It was the last legal hanging in Collin County.
In 1888, a local businessman, D. J. Ferguson was awarded a contract to build an iron bridge across Wilson Creek to replace an old wooden bridge that was constantly under repair because of high water damage and excessive loads.
In 1898, Nevada Camp No. 453 Woodmen of the World was chartered. An organization supported by a national insurance company, was very prominent in North Texas for over 50 years, helping orphans and widows of policy holders.
In 1902, the First Baptist Church in Frisco was organized
In 1903, an annual citywide picnic was held at Old Settlers Park in McKinney. At that time the park, located on East Louisiana, was the main city recreation area, but over the years as other parks have been built it has become the main recreational area for the communities in east McKinney.
In 1904, the Graybill post office was discontinued and residents began receiving their mail from the Anna office.
In 1908, the paving of streets around the square in McKinney with bricks was completed.
In 1920, the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, which guarantees the right of women to vote, was ratified when Tennessee became the 36th state to approve it.
In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the Social Security Act into law, creating unemployment insurance and pension plans for the elderly.
In 1937, the post office in Altoga, a community ten miles northeast of McKinney was discontinued. Residents began receiving their mail through the Melissa post office.
In 1942, the Auburn Hospital in McKinney was dedicated to serve the military.
In 1981, the beginning of the technology we know today began when IBM introduced the first personal computer.
Contributing writer Don Newsom is an avid historian and a former Superintendent of Schools for Celina ISD. He also serves as a member of the North Texas History Center's Board of Directors.