July 29 through August 4
Among the events that happened this week in our history, Collin County was identified as a county seat, Medicare went into effect and World War I escalated.
In 1846, John McGarrah donated 50 acres of land for the town site of Buckner, the first county seat. The same year the first church in the county was founded, the Corinth Presbyterian Church in Parker.
In 1848, the Peters' Colony contract expired, which was the agreement that began the initial settlement of the county meaning that anything official on record was invalid and the process for formal governmental organization had to begin again.
In 1856, Jacob Routh became the first county resident to be ordained into the ministry.
In 1857, the area experienced a total eclipse of the sun, an event that brought predictions that the end of the world was near.
In 1862, county resident, Captain J. K. Bumpass, mustered a mounted volunteer group to fight for the Confederacy in the Civil War.
In 1880, a post office was established in Nevada. It still serves the residents in that area.
In 1902, the Knox post office was discontinued. Residents began receiving their mail through the Pike office and later through the Leonard office.
In 1903, when stringed bands were very popular, two - the Altoga Band and the Vineland String Band - presented concerts in Princeton and the Bloomdale community.
In 1905, a Christian church was organized in Princeton. It still meets today.
In 1910, the “Allen Enterprise”, a long running newspaper was started.
In 1914, Germany declared war on France and Great Britain declared war on Germany.
In 1915, Texas Power & Light bought electric distribution plants in Plano, Melissa, Anna, Howe, Richardson and Vickery and became the long term providers of that utility.
In 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Medicare bill into law.
In 1985, a Delta passenger plane crashed at DFW International, killing over 130 people.
Don Newsom is a contributing writer for TownsSquareBuzz.com. He is an avid historian and a former Superintendent of Schools for Celina ISD.