What with all the bicycles zooming, parading, and concerting in downtown McKinney Memorial Day weekend, it's easy to see how the opening of McKinney Repertory Theatre's White Liars and Black Comedy at the McKinney Performing Arts Center might've slipped off the radar screen. Lucky for us though, Peter Shaffer's hystically funny work in the form of two one-act comedies, continues through the coming weekend.
"White Liars" introduces us to a former Baroness posing as a fortune teller. Or, ist it a fortune teller posing as a Baroness? Either way, the Baroness advises the lead singer of a rock band and his manager as to what their future holds. Meanwhile, "Black Comedy" brings us to an evening in the life of an aspiring artist looking to impress a potential art buyer, as well as, his fiancee's father. From "borrowing" furniture from out-of-town neighbors to blown fuses, Shaffer takes us through a whole series of hilarious mishaps.
See the show on Friday, June 1 at 8 p.m., Saturday, June 2 at 8 p.m. or Sunday June 3 at 2 p.m. Go ahead and grab your tickets now by clicking here. It's cool. We'll wait.
Got 'em? Good.
There;s a host of fun things to do in and around McKinney this first weekend of June, and, thanks to our dear friends at the McKinney Convention and Visitor's Bureau we are in the know. Check it out:
Animal Superheroes: Heard Natural Science Museum, 972-562-5566.
THURSDAY MAY 31
Adriatica Farmers Market: 3-7 p.m. 6851 Virginia. 972-562-8790.
FRIDAY JUNE 1
Butterfly Garden & House: Beginning June 1 enjoy geing immersed among native Texas fluttering butterflies in the butterflyhouse and garden at Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary. Goes through Sept. 30. 972-562-5566.
SATURDAY JUNE 2
Farmers Market: 8 a.m.-noon. Chestnut Square Historic Village. 315 S. Chestnut. Home Tours at 11 a.m.
Weekly Group Bike Ride: Cadence Cyclery in downtown McKinney 7:20 a.m.
Drum Circle: 10 a.m. Old Settlers Rec. Center, 1201 E. Louisiana. 214-641-0782.
Franconia Brewing Tour: 11 a.m.; $5 per person for tour/tastings. 495 McKinney Pkwy.; 972-542-0705.
- The Garret Gallery: Junanne Peck; 111 E. Virginia; 972-548-9361.
- Imaging on the Square: Local artists. 109 S. Tennessee; 972-548-7575
- Laura Moore Fine Art: Waleed Arshad. 107 S. Tennessee, 214-914-3630
- Orisons Art and Framing: Joe Sambataro; 110 E. Louisiana, 972-529-1441
- The Artist's Loft: featured art by McKinney North High School artists; 110 E. Louisiana St., 972-345-6311.
NIGHT LIFE AND MUSIC
- Cadillac Pub: Live music
- Hank's Texas Grill: Metal Shop (Fri.); Max Stalling (Sat.)
- Grand Bar: Jason Elmore (Fri.); Brianna Ruelas (Sat.)
- Grotto Live: Revolvers (Fri.); Brianna Ruelas (Sat.)
- Landon Winery: Dueling Mikes (Fri.); Aaron Burton (Sat.)
- Lone Star Wine Cellars: Ryan Michael Galloway (Fri.); Crystal Yates (Sat.)
- Spoons Cafe: Live music
Be sure to check out the TownSquareBuzz.com Community Calendar to see what else's up this weekend. Don't see your event listed? Feel free to add it to the comment section of this week's Entertainement Buzz and to the TSB Community Calendar too.
Follow me on Twitter @MicheleSBernard and on Facebook @ Michele Stevens Bernard. You can be my Pinterest pal too if you're up to sharing my obsession for mason jars and moving pallets.