March 25 through March 31
From war, to dramatic weather occurrences to, voting rights, this week in history saw significant happenings.
In 1837, Santa Anna and his Mexican forces continued their slaughter of rebelling Texans when they killed 300 prisoners at Goliad.
In 1861, the Farmerville Cavalry Company, # 1, 15th Brigade was established and moved eastward to join the Confederate forces.
In 1867, Secretary of State William H. Seward reached an agreement with Russia to purchase Alaska for $7.2 million, a deal roundly ridiculed as "Seward's Folly."
In 1870, the 15th amendment to the Constitution, giving black men the right to vote, was declared in effect. The same year, Texas was readmitted to the Union.
In 1873, Eli Murphy, a founding father, sold his hardware store in Plano to two “newcomers”, Lee and Oglesby, who expanded it into a general merchandise store.
In 1874, the Elm Grove Cumberland Presbyterian Church was established near Westminster.
In 1879, Charles Stibbens, who is the only veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto buried in Collin County, died.
In 1885, the Eastman Dry Plate and Film Co. of Rochester, N.Y., manufactured the first commercial motion picture film.
In 1893, fire destroyed several buildings in the business district of Plano on Mechanic Street. Rumors were that the fire was the result of a dispute between competing businesses in the area.
In 1902, a severe hail storm hit the Wylie area. The most extensive damage was to the agricultural products.
In 1904, the Tib and Callis post offices in the northeast part of the county were discontinued and residents began receiving mail through the Blue Ridge office.
In 1908, the Woodmen of the World, a fraternal benefit organization committed to helping families, sponsored a “Log Rolling” competition in McKinney. Several years later, my wife’s father spent many years managing the farm at their orphanage west of Sherman.
In 1910, The Opera House on the west side of the square in McKinney burned and the First Guaranty State Bank of Plano was chartered.
In 1924, Frisco began receiving electrical service from Texas Power and Light.
In 1968, President Lyndon B. Johnson made a surprise announcement that he would not run for re-election.
In 1973, the last U.S. combat troops, including many from Collin County, left South Vietnam, ending America's direct military involvement in the Vietnam War.
Photo: Don Newsom. Don Newsom is an avid historian and a former Superintendent of Schools for for Celina MISD.