March 4 through March 10
Historically, the following events, which took place in early March, have impacted our area.
In 1789, the Constitution for our nation went into effect when the first Congress met in New York City.
In 1836, the siege of the Alamo ended.
In 1847, W. A McMillan, a white male was the first recorded birth in Collin County, formed less than two years earlier from Fannin County.
In 1848, the county seat of was moved from Buckner to McKinney. The move was initiated when it was learned that state law required the county seat be within 3 miles of the geographic center of the county and that the voters had not been given two options when Buckner was designated the county seat when the county was formed. The town of Buckner no longer exists, but it was approximately where the current "Third Monday Trade Days" is located on U S Highway 380.
In 1859, land for a town square in Farmersville was donated by William Gotcher.
In 1861, Abraham Lincoln was sworn in as President. Other Presidents inaugurated this week were Woodrow Wilson in 1913 and Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1933. Also in 1861, Henry Dye, son of a pioneer family, graduated from medical school and returned to the area to practice medicine and Texas seceded from the Union, although the majority of the residents of Collin County opposed the move.
In 1862, two more local companies of the 16th Regiment of the Texas Cavalry were mustered by Captains Gabriel Fitzhugh and John W. Kolfus to fight in the Civil War.
In 1885, the City of Plano enacted an ordinance that prohibited the erection of barbed wire fences along public streets.
In 1886, legislation was passed by the voters of Collin County supporting prohibition.
In 1890, the Tickey post office, which had been opened for two years, changed its name to Viney. The office closed the next year and residents began receiving mail through the Altoga office. Mailed is now delivered through the Blue Ridge office.
In 1982, Darryl Gumm was appointed the first Fire Chief for the town of St. Paul, which is now a part of Lucas, south of McKinney.
In 1894, the Chambersville post office was established. It operated until 1903 when it was closed and residents began receiving their mail through the McKinney office.
In 1897, the The McKinney Daily Courier Gazette was established. It is still being published today.
In 1909, the town of Plano began trash collection for its residents.
Don Newsom (in photo) is an avid historian and a former Superintendent of Schools for Celina ISD.